Thursday, April 15, 2010

Sweet Potatoes

I think what I like best about sweet potatoes is that the process of making sweet potatoes for my girl is quite similar to the process of making them for myself... and they've become such of a favorite that I recently made 40 oz of sweet potatoes at one time.

So how did I do it?
1. Wash and dry sweet potatoes
2. Prick several times with fork
3. Wrap in foil
4. Bake at 350 until tender (probably an hour - depends on size of potato)

After that, I allowed the potatoes to cool, peeled the peel off (comes off very easily), stuck them in the food processor and pureed away. They puree very well and can be frozen with no added liquid.

One note on the consistency of the sweet potato: I do not thin before freezing for a couple of reasons. First, I like to mix sweet potatoes with apples - deeeelish, and the apples are liquidy enough to make the sweet potatoes less pasty. Second, if I decide to just feed sweet potatoes, it is easy to thin them right before feeding. Just a little bit of water, breast milk, or formula does the trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment