Friday, April 9, 2010

The Wonderful World of Pears

Yummmmmm. My girl might not get any of her pears because I might eat them first! It's like applesauce but maybe even better...

Let me first say that apparently you do NOT have to cook pears. They tend to be soft when ripe (think Harry and David around Christmastime - those are my favorite). I cooked mine on this first attempt for a few reasons: 1. I'm really not all that familiar with pears - they're not on my everyday shopping list 2. Some of the pears I got seemed more ripe than others 3. I didn't want to wait while they ripened more in my kitchen - I was ready to give it a try. Another reason to cook would be if this is one of your baby's first foods; Cooking helps to break down the sugars and gives your baby's tummy a little break in that way.

I pealed and cored the pears (I core by cutting into quarters and basically scooping the seeds out) and stuck them in my steamer. I let them steam for probably 30-45 minutes so that they'd be really nice and tender. I pealed, cored, and cooked, and then my daughter went to bed, so I didn't puree them until this morning (my house is small, my food processor is loud... you get the picture).

First of all, when I was transferring the pears from the bowl to the processor, I discovered some sort of delicious syrup they had formed (again, yum), and I made sure to put that in with the pears. I mean, why should I deprive my child that fruity deliciousness? (insert anti-sugar argument here).

I had saved the water from steaming in case I needed to thin, but I didn't need to thin at all. They pureed perfectly and easily, and I can't wait to make them again. My girl hasn't tried them yet, but if she doesn't like them, I know someone who does :)

Ok, off to try to resist the temptation of baby food... which is probably why I like making my own. The stuff in the jar has never really tempted me...

P.S. I bought 5 fairly small pears, and they made about 20 ounces of baby food. I was impressed. I got more out of 5 pears than 5 apples which surprised me.

No comments:

Post a Comment