Monday, April 19, 2010

Update on Peas

So I tried peas again... and it was about time as my sweet girl has been eating lots of bananas, pears, and sweet potatoes... not exactly the most balanced diet!

This time I was DETERMINED not to try to get the peels out - if I keep doing that, I'll never make them. I have to be realistic with myself, and I know that if something is too much trouble, I won't repeat it very often. For example, I'm almost always happy to make chocolate chip cookies from scratch - I have it down to a science: I have all the ingredients on hand, I can keep the mess to a minimum, and they're very good for my marriage :) I don't, however, make cheesecake every day... too.much.trouble. I don't want peas to be my new cheesecake, ya know?

Anyway, I tried the blender today, and I think it was a good fit. I just cooked the bag of frozen peas (according to package directions), drained (regret that part - more on that later), and stuck them in the blender. I ended up with a pretty good puree - especially for a child who is almost 8 months, but I would feed these to any child over 6 months who has some experience with solids.

The package only told me to steam the peas in 1/4 c. of water, so I didn't have much water to drain off after cooking. I do wish I had just dumped this water in with the peas because it had some flavor and nutrients after the cooking, and I ended up adding probably the same amount of water to get an easier puree. I found that short spurts of blending coupled with some stirring got me the puree I'd been looking for. With the food processor, I was ending up with what were basically chopped peas... with the blender, I got more of what I had hoped for all along.

At last, I had enough to fill my ice tray - and a little more to stick in the fridge for tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment